Sunday, October 5, 2008

Inspired

"... The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

Since I am just starting this blog I thought it only fitting to share my soul.  A couple of good friends of mine recently inspired me to take a deep long look at who I am and how I came to be here. What I mean by "here" of course is an adult woman riddled with quirks. I will probably share many of these with you on this very blog.  Here is a brief list:

  •  I often joke that I "never shut off."  While this bothers many I really am ok with it.
  • I will only use Bounty "select a size" paper towels. Yep- shallow but true.
  • You may not know that the Starbucks "mermaid" is really a "Siren" calling you into buy coffee. She calls my name every time I am within 1/4 mile of her.
  • Iced cold, fountain Coke with crushed ice may be my secret addiction, only slightly followed by iced cold Coke from a can.
  • I can give you statistics for most things involving the inner city and youth.
  • If I don't read my Bible in the morning and before bed, I get physically agitated. Not because I am legalistic but because it feeds my soul.
  • People who eat loud or while on the phone with me should just never talk to me again.
  • I hate cold, grey winters with a passion that is sort of frightening.
Now that you are disgusted by who I have become. Let me tell you about how I got here:

  • Growing up I was exposed to copious amounts of kid's music, "old" time Gospel, blue grass, polka, oldies and country music. See example below: (This was a favorite.)



  • My Mom started "frosting" my hair when I was in Middle School. By 8th grade it was high lighted so "white" many kids asked me why my hair was grey. My Mom and myself both thought I looked beautiful.
  • My hair was super short and permed most of my young life.
  • In 6th grade my "friends" played a prank on me that caused the ENTIRE 6th- 8th grade classes to stand around my locker and laugh at me.
  • I played with Barbies until I was 14.
  • Sucked my thumb until I was 13.
  • Began playing the trumpet in 4th grade and allowed it to take over my life all the way through High School.
  • While other "cool" kids  made through High School with skipping at least a class, almost all of my classes that could be were Advanced Placement.
  • For fun my friend's and I would steal lawn ornaments from one lawn and trek across town and place them on different people's lawns.
That is why I am so thankful that through it all Christ is looking at my heart. He is saying that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Yes, I am wretched, but bought for a price and loved more than I can ever fathom.

Thanks for joining me on the journey.  This is the place of where I come from and where I am going collide...

Recently, In an effort to teach my oldest about the "tion" in spelling I began to sing this song. I could not remember where it came from. Well, I found it. Maybe it will help straighten some things out... This was the children's programming I was exposed to.  






I may have learned the power of "green" at a young age but why are they all naked?
 No wonder I am the way that I am...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The video if frightening. I am sorry you had to endure that kind of music.

Everything else I pretty much knew about you, but I got a great laugh out of anyway.